The Basketball Official's Association for Palm Beach County
The ECBOA is dedicated to provide quality officiating for high school basketball games in Palm Beach County and throughout the State of Florida in such a way that enforces the rules in a fair and impartial manner while upholding the integrity of the game.
We are continuing to accept interests in becoming a certified high school basketball official. Our table is set up at major venues throughout the high school season. Please email to our board liaison for recruiting if you have an interest in officiating basketball. We would love to start a conversation with you about how to get you involved.
Congratulations to Jaylen Thompson
During the Holiday Classic of the Palm Beaches ECBOA student official Jaylen Thompson was recognized as achieving varsity status in both basketball and football. Jaylen is the only high school student in the State of Florida to achieve this level of officiating.
ECBOA President Joe Erwin presented Jaylen with a FHSAA Certificate of Achievement. Jaylen’s family and several ECBOA members were there to share this special moment with Jaylen.
Here is an update on ECBOA happenings and events:
• Please join me in congratulating Jaylen Thompson who received a Certificate of Recognition from the FHSAA for achieving varsity status for both football and basketball. Jaylen is the only student official in Florida to have achieved this status and we are very proud of him. Jaylen has also been active in our recruiting efforts, and has been instrumental in bringing in new officials to our association. Congratulations Jaylen!
* Speaking of recruiting, thank you to everyone who volunteered at our recruiting table at Dwyer HS during the Holiday Classic of the Palm Beaches. Alec did a nice job getting it set up and arranging to have it manned.
• Holiday Classics continue the first week in January including tournaments at Forest Hill, Palm Beach Central, Spanish River, and Suncoast. Regular season games continue when the students return to class the week of January 7th.
• The recommendation committee has finalized the State list and it has been posted to our website. As outlined in the recommendation committee guidelines, the membership is required to approve the list at the first scheduled general meeting in January (scheduled for January 9th at 7PM).
• Nominations for President, Secretary, and two At-Large Board positions remain open until January 9th, when they will be closed at our general meeting. If you wish to nominate someone, or self-nominate, please contact Jonathan Pierre (election supervisor) directly or do so at the general meeting on the 9th.
• Are you following ECBOA on social media? Alec has been very good at posting pictures, tournament information, and other association items on Twitter and Instagram. Send your officiating pictures to Alec and he will put them on our social media sites.
• Lastly, a certain Board member has chosen to send “follow-up” emails to my monthly President Updates. These emails skew the facts to fit his motives and personal agenda. It’s unfortunate that he has opted to take this approach vs. working with the Board in a constructive manner to bring about positive change and improvement to our association. Unfortunately these divisive emails will undoubtedly continue. As is our practice, official ECBOA communication will continue to be distributed through Arbiter by the President (Joe Erwin) and the Assignor (Mark DeAtley).
Thanks and I wish everyone has a happy and healthy 2019.
2018 End of Year Banquet
44 - 54