The Basketball Official's Association for Palm Beach County
The ECBOA is dedicated to provide quality officiating for high school basketball games in Palm Beach County and throughout the State of Florida in such a way that enforces the rules in a fair and impartial manner while upholding the integrity of the game.
Thank You Ray!
Ray Acosta was gracious enough to come speak at one of our General Meetings. Ray was a former ECBOA official who rose through the ranks and now officiates in the NBA.
He Shared the importance of preparation and film study and spoke to the commitment it takes to be a quality official. But in the end, the most important thing is not the games you officiate but the people you meet along the way and the person you become.
Thanks again Ray!
If You Missed It, You Missed It...
ECBOA had its first beginning of the year cookout and golf outing. A good time was had by all. The current count is up to 47 golf balls that were lost either in the woods or lakes. Not too bad.
There was a raffle for a new ECBOA jacket. Congratulations to Andrew Bolognese for winning.
Thanks to Cedric and the entire team for pulling off a great event.
If you are interested in becoming an official, please check out our Join the ECBOA page. We are making plans now for the 2018/2019 season.
Mark your calendar!
The next regular meeting for all officials is December 5. Meeting will be held at the School District Cafeteria on Forest Hill Blvd.
Check the calendar for locations and times.
Registration is open.
See you soon!
Basketball Season is here!
Here is an update on ECBOA happenings and events:
• On the assigning front, Mark has been working hard in an effort to get the game assignments out at least two weeks in advance. He has also adjusted the distance parameter in Arbiter in an effort to keep officials closer to home or work. We feel that this will help to reduce the number of turn-backs and save us on travel time and cost.
• A special Thank You to the officials who volunteered at the Palm Beach County Special Olympics games, which was a qualifier to the upcoming Regional and State tournaments. These officials include Jon Alin, Russ Black, Leon Brown, Greg Burie, Lee Esbin, Kyle French, Robert Garfinkel, Michael Francois, Jim Marzullo, Rich Schilliro, Jeff Seltzer, Brad Staskowski, and Jaylen Thompson. Way to go guys!
• At last count there are eight holiday tournaments scheduled in Palm Beach County this season, most of which start on December 26th. Stay tuned for more information on these.
• The Board has passed a new payment recovery policy. If you have not received your game fee within 14 days of the game you can fill out a payment recovery form and submit it. Cedric has been designated to work with Yetta in an effort to track down your check. The new policy and payment recovery form can be found on our website (ECBOA.org) under the “Members” tab. Note that this policy applies only to regular season games (not Tournaments, District games, or State Series games).
• We want to remind everyone to please log in to Arbiter and block the dates and times that you are not available. This is especially important with the upcoming holiday tournaments which will have games throughout the day. Also, if you need assistance with blocking a prohibited school or an official (one block allowed) please reach out to me for assistance.
• Uniform Reminder - Headbands are to be a single solid color (black, white, beige or the predominant color of the uniform), must be a circular design without extensions, must be worn on the forehead/crown, must be nonabrasive and unadorned, and must be a maximum of 2 inches wide. We are seeing headbands which tie or have tails, especially in girls’ games. These are not permitted. Also, players are allowed to roll up their pants; however, the draw string must be tucked into the pants. Also, the jersey is required to be tucked in as well. Please enforce these uniform rules.
• Be sure to check the ECBOA calendar for important upcoming dates, including our next General meeting on December 5th at the Palm Beach County School Board at 7 PM.
• Committee Updates include:
Assignment Committee: This committee has been reviewing the game assignments prior to them being released. Francois is the committee liaison.
Evaluation Committee: Evaluations have commenced and will be picking up as we get into December. Eric Benz is the committee liaison.
Recruiting Committee: The recruiting table was set up at the Atlantic Christian Girls tournament, and will be set up at various locations during the holiday tournaments. Alec Ceravolo is the committee liaison and would appreciate some help with recruiting.
Recommendation Committee: This committee will be holding their first meeting in December and will start the process of compiling the FHSAA recommendation list. Vince Holmes is the committee liaison.
I want to wish everyone a safe and Happy Holiday.
2018 End of Year Banquet
44 - 54